The Woman as Warrior

After beginning this book, I really understand why it’s so difficult to categorize. Tomorrow’s reading moved seamlessly between a very biographical recounting of her mother, with fantasy elements seamlessly mixed in. Those two are so far apart in most American literature that it’s either one or the other. However, after reading some magic realism (Yay Spanish classes), I really think that’s a good way to describe “Woman Warrior.”

Since beginning this book, I think that Jessica really hit things on the head with her presentation last Friday (Not that I had any reason to doubt, but this has just reinforced it). The way that women were (are?) viewed by Chinese culture is simply appalling. Then, that got me to thinking (and talking) about other cultures in the world and how they’ve done similar things to women throughout the ages. Thinking about how advanced the world’s societies have (continue to) claimed to be so advanced (in whatever field), while such customs and abuse continue just sent me spiraling downward into oblivion.

However, I pulled myself out of the abyss to wonder at a couple of things. I’m assuming that the recounting of the mother’s battle with the Sitting Ghost was something that the mother had described to Maxine Hong Kingston. However, it’s later said that the mother never told any make-believe tales, only true (albeit weird or scary) ones. Since I’m kind of skeptical about the ghost incident, it made me wonder about the anus-less child she spoke of later, and if it was just some kind of scary bedtime story.

As well, I thought it was interesting that the Red Chinese (Communist) government issued tracts about dealing with ghosts, when (in my mind, at least) Communism is so attached to there not being a spiritual world. It’s kind of funny how that idea of a “perfect government” has to be twisted to fit reality.